Friday, July 10, 2009

Haworthia

This is an Haworthia enigma GM412 CL1 formerly known as the aubergine form of Haworthia magnifica var. atrofusca. Although I would like to name this plant an enigma, let's just call it the Haworthia until I have another haworthia!

When I bought this plant last fall, it was larger and greener. Then one day I overwatered it. It grew a flower stalk of about 10 inches tall with white flowers coming off of it and then the roots under half of the plant rotted. When I realized what was happening, I pulled out the plant to save the remaining two roots, let them dry a bit and then repotted it. I set it outside for the spring and it turned red and a bit wrinkled. It took me a while to realize that it was just reacting to the higher temperatures and that it would survive. I brought it back inside when the temperatures reached the 90's and I soon saw a change, finally, for the good. It is turning green again and I believe the two roots that are left are taking hold.

Note to self: Never overwater again.

This plant requires light shade to full shade. It is slow growing from South Africa. It will tolerate a light frost but medium temperatures and light watering seem to be the key.

No comments:

Post a Comment