Monday, July 20, 2009

Birthday Cake Cactus

This is my Mammillaria hahniana or Birthday Cake Cactus or Old Lady Cactus. I don't know if you remember but I have another cactus that I called the Powder Puff Cactus even though it was labeled as one of these. That was my call and I think I'll stick to it for now. The main reason for this decision is the appearance of its flowers. The cactus above has not bloomed for me yet so when it does, I may have to change my directive.

The flowers on the Birthday Cake Cactus are supposed to form a tight ring on the crown of the plant, like candles on a birthday cake. The spines vary in appearance. Sometimes they are long or curly or hairy, not unlike the "Powder Puff Cactus" that I also have.

I have recently repotted this one and I am very happy with its new "do." Mammillarias need little water and a lot of light and they love to bloom!

No comments:

Post a Comment