Friday, July 17, 2009

Curiosity Plants



These two plants are simply cacti with deformed growing points. Interesting, huh? Although I think the one above is some sort of Cereus, I know the one to the left and below are Cereus peruvianus v. monstrose because the very reputable dealer that I bought this from said so! At any rate, these cacti get very flat and skinny when they don't have enough water so I judge this way as far as whether I am watering enough.

I made the same mistake with the second cactus this spring by taking it outside and watering it. Then the cold spell happened and it got waterlogged spots on it. I decided to cut off the worst spots by cutting off the whole limb and repotting it. So far so good. It is very slow growing so I won't reap benefits for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment