Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Barrel Cactus

This is a ferocactus glaucescens. I am having a somewhat difficult time identifying the cacti that I have left to catalog but I finally found this one. The problem is that there are a few cacti with this name but I have found at least two sources that show this exact picture as having this name.

This cactus grows into a barrel form to the dimensions of around 25"x20". It tolerates a lot of neglect and it's very important not to overwater unless there is excellent drainage. When I placed this one outside in the spring, I watered it along with the others then there was a cold night. What used to be an excellent specimen is now a bit wrinkled at the bottom due to this unfortunate event. It is recovering on top but the bottom will forever be yellow and wrinkled.

No comments:

Post a Comment