Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Feather Cactus

Okay, to try to get it right I am rewriting this entry. Although I am still unsure due to the various pictures I have seen, I believe that this really might be a Mammallaria plumosa or Feather Cactus. There must be several forms of cactus with the same name or everyone is as confused as I am! Anyway, let's go with Feather Cactus! It is a native of northern Mexico and can tolerate temperatures as low as 20 degrees F. But, it prefers temperatures no lower than 50 degrees F. AND, it is suggested that this cactus not become terribly dry in the winter as in the summer.

This cactus produces white flowers and mine gave me several a couple of months ago in the spring. I had kept it indoors for the winter and watered it every two weeks. They like a lot of light and the southern exposure of my winter window garden was apparently enough to make it happy. I have it inside at this time after placing it outside until it got up to 100 degrees. I brought several of the cacti in because of the rising temperatures and they have all breathed a sigh of relief! You see, not all cacti love to be sizzling hot and bone dry!

2 comments:

  1. That really looks like a Mammillaria plumosa. Spines on R. pulvinosa are way different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Robert! I would love to know the proper name for this cactus, however, after looking up the Mammillaria plumosa, I find that it is a much "tighter" clump than mine. Perhaps the pic doesn't do it justice. I also found a better pic of the Rebutia pulvinosa f albiflora and I pretty sure I stand corrected that that is not what it is. Hmmm! Anymore suggestions? Does the M. plumosa get tighter as it grows older? Love to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete