Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Bishop's Cap

This plant is an Astrophytum myriostigma or commonly known as a Bishop's Cap Cactus. It is unique in its shape and doesn't get much bigger than a melon. The white speckles are actually its spines which are quite "user-friendly."

Someday, I hope, this cactus will produce large yellow blooms that are around 2.5" in diameter and that last 2-3 days. I have two of these. The one above has been in a pot all winter and still looks plump. I watered it about once every two weeks during the winter inside the house. Now, I need to water it about once a week while the pot spends the summer outside.

My other plant spent the winter outside in the ground. I think it is doing well but I transplanted it into a pot recently anyway. Our temperatures were mild last winter, dipping below freezing only a handful of times. This plant flattened out a bit with the cold temperatures but has since recovered somewhat. Its red color is normal for the outside treatment of cold then hot environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment