Friday, June 12, 2009

Cactus Babyland

Well, here they are! Some of them, anyway! The ferocactus seeds that I germinated a few weeks ago are growing. I was able to eventually take off the plastic wrap covering the seedlings and I water them with mist every day. If I miss a day, I lose a few of them! But there are plenty to lose!!! I'll need to keep this up for a year or two before I can transplant them into their own pots. Hopefully, by then, I won't need too many pots!

The following are my baby cacti! I may need to wait a little longer before identifying them clearly. But, I'm thinking that this one, to the left, may be an Echinopsis mamillosa f. kermesina. At least, I hope so because, if it is, it will produce very large flowers. It will stay fairly small. I need to keep it out of the cold as it shrivels quickly in cold temperatures.

I love this one and I think I almost lost it. Several weeks ago, it shrivelled and I thought it was a goner. I may have watered it too much. But, I didn't give up. I set it outside and became very careful about the amount of water I gave it. It still didn't perk up. So, I brought it back in and began spraying it instead of watering it. Voila! It came back and is beautiful again. Now, if I only knew what it was! Maybe it is a Coryphantha clava or Coryphantha delaetiana which should produce yellow flowers with age.

This one I know for sure! To the left is an Astro- phytum asterias or a Silver Dollar Cactus. Being a kin to my Bishop's Cap Cactus, it is spineless. Unlike the Bishop's Cap, it is very sensitive to being overwatered. After about five years, it should produce red flowers. It becomes flatter during the winter dormancy.

These twins gave me a scare earlier this year when I set them outside. I soon watered them and then we had a very cold night. These plants shrivelled and turned red. I thought they were soon to die but, again, I persevered! Eventually, when it started getting hotter, I brought them inside again and began spraying them instead of watering them. Encore, voila!! They perked back up and here we have healthy plants again. What are they? Well, I was told they were a rare white version of the echinocactus (like the Golden Barrel species). So far, I haven't found a picture on the internet to back that up.

Next, I have a Ferocactus emoryi, I think. I guess it's possible that this is a baby Red Barrel (or Fire Barrel) or Ferocactus cylindraceus but I tend to think it is the former. At any rate, I like it. It is colorful and stays pretty happy with regular cactus care.

Last, but not least, is the leuch- tenbergia principis. There is only one species in this genus. It is very slow growing and is related to the ferocactus. It has a nickname of agave cactus because the full-grown plant appears in the shape of an agave but with spines and flowers and fruits after around eight years. When it gets a little older, it will be able to acclimate to the winter temperatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment