Wednesday, May 27, 2009

My Five Agaves

Agaves are succulents which take the form of rosettes and can grow to various sizes. They range from blue-green (colder climates) to gray-green (warmer climates) and are accented with a very sharp spine tip on each leaf. They form a flower stalk at the end of their life. After the stalk dies, the plant dies and its offsets have been produced to take its place. There are more than 450 species of agave of which I have five. They are a dependable plant as they need very little water, a lot of sun and can withstand very low temperatures. I keep all of them outside throughout the year.

The Agave schidigera or Durango Delight is pictured above. This agave has white markings and light-colored fibers curling from the edges of the leaves. It will grow to be at least 2 feet in diameter. When it flowers, it will produce a stalk 10'-12' tall with dark purple flowers; however, this species does not produce offsets. It is native to the American southwest and Mexico at 3000' to 8000' in elevation as it tolerates lows around 15 degrees F. I water it a few times throughout the spring, summer and early fall. Careful! Not too much!

This is the Agave parryi var. huachucaensis or Huachuca Agave. Don't you just love that name? This agave is hardy to 0 degrees F and will grow up to 2.5' in diameter. Its yellow flowered stalk will also be around 10'-12' tall. The indentations seen on the backs of the leaves are formed by the previous leaves. I have kept this plant in a large pot in the hot sun since I got it. When I water it (which may be once a month now), I water it very well. I used to keep two of them on either side of our south facing front entrance until the HOA took care of that! Now they are poolside in the back happily getting full sun throughout the day. In the winter time, I will have to find a sunny spot for them as the backyard gets very little sun during that time.

The Agave vilmoriniana or Octopus Agave is a gangly but beautiful agave which grows up to 4 feet in height. Its stalks are also yellow flowered at 10'-12' tall. It can handle temperatures down to 20 degrees F. The two words I found that describe them well are "user-friendly" and "unarmed!" In other words, they are not really sharp. My plant is actually made up of several offsets which were made when the original plant suffered overwatering during the Las Vegas winter freeze of 2007. I do not claim responsibility for this overwatering as there were a few kinks to iron out with surrounding irrigation. The plant was transplanted into another location and after a short period of time, the offsets arrived and the original plant died off. I decided to leave the many offsets as they were and they seem very happy in partial shade and watering only about once a month.

Above you will find my Agave parryi var. truncata or Artichoke Agave. It could grow to 3 feet square ... or round ... and it is good down to 10 degrees F. If it grows old enough, its stalk will be 15'-20' tall with yellow flowers. I think it will probably not do all that because of where I planted it. Even though it gets a lot of sun in the summer time, it gets none in the winter. It looks nice in the landscape where I have it so this doesn't bother me. It seems pretty happy as there are now 4 offsets surrounding it. I plan to leave these offsets there where I hope to create a cluster of them. I give it extra water very rarely to offset the amount of shade it receives.

Last and definitely least, is my Agave americana 'Variegata' or Variegated Century Plant. I've seen old specimens of this agave in yards around here that are tremendous (maybe 5 feet tall.) After 20 to 30 years, the plant will make stalks around 25' tall with large cream-colored fragrant flowers. It is a good conversation piece. "Why is mine so ugly," you ask? Well, I only recently figured out that the birds have decided to mess with it. Some of the leaves broke and other leaves have pecking marks on them. Not to worry! The agave made a nice offset which I salvaged and now have growing in my "nursery" where I hope it will become big and strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment