Wednesday, August 12, 2009

GG's Cousin Heidi

I am Heidi, a maine coon cat extraordinaire. I live with my Mom in Georgia. My Mom is tops. She gives me all a cat could want; a great house all to myself (oh yeah, and her), food everyday, a screen door to watch the birds in the morning, sometimes a bit of tuna, and really cool guests like Andrew, Mitchell and Aunt Kay.

Aunt Kay was just here last weekend. At first, I wasn't so sure she remembered me so I played it tough and hid just out of her sight for a few hours. She acted like she remembered me but I still didn't know for sure. And, did she remember how special I was? Well, soon I decided to put her to the test. I allowed her to pet me ... only at arm's length. She seemed to remember that cats only like to be scratched behind the ears and that's where she concentrated her efforts.

The next day, I showed my Mom how special she is by sitting on her tummy and doing the two-step. I know how she likes that. For the most part, I ignored Aunt Kay but, darned, if she didn't keep crawling up to me and acting like she knew me. Rubbing my ears and back. Playing with my tail and paws. Hmmph! The nerve! She just wouldn't go away! I chirped and chirped and chirped. (Funny thing was that she chirped back!)

So, the next day, Aunt Kay decided she would just go straight for my tummy. Whoa! Only my Mom does that! "Well, okay," I thought, "I'll let her do that just this once. Then, that's it!" I won't tell her that I kind of liked it! I let out a few chirps but I don't think I was fooling her.

Then, Mom brought out the "big guns!" She found my old toy, the fishing rod with the feather toy on the end of it. I forgot how much I loved that thing. Aunt Kay and I played and played. I caught it most of the time but Aunt Kay was pretty good, too. I was playing the two level version of this game which didn't seem to bother Aunt Kay even though I think it was making Mom nervous that I was on the coffee table during the game. I decided Aunt Kay was all right and she definitely remembered me so that night, I was waiting outside the bathroom when she finished her bath to say goodnight.

So, after four days, I decided I could share my space with this new female and, as I passed by her bedroom on the last morning, I noticed that she was busying around putting things in a suitcase. I entered her space and chirped a few times. Aunt Kay bent down to rub me seeming to be especially pleased. Later, I approached her at the breakfast table and thoughtfully laid down to offer my tummy to her reaching hand. "No, Aunt Kay," I said silently, "I was just getting used to this intrusion. Don't leave me until I am finished with you!"

Alas, that morning she did not return with my Mom. But, it's okay. I love my Mom and life is wonderful at my house.

1 comment: